My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Living the IF

A year ago I felt the weight of my heavy pregnant body a little bit less than the weight of the uncertainty and dread that had been pressing on me ever since Verity's prenatal diagnosis. As much as I tried to be hopeful and faith-full, the unknown stole so much joy from those final weeks of waiting for the arrival of our sweet baby, a precious little girl whose very existence brought more ambiguity than any other anticipated event of our lives.

At the same time, I couldn't help but be grateful that we did receive Verity's diagnosis early, even though a prenatal diagnosis can sometimes actually be detrimental. The last few months of my pregnancy allowed me to research and prepare myself and my family for some of those "What ifs" that lay ahead of us:

What IF our baby actually lives instead of dies?
What IF we bring her home from the hospital?
What IF we go from parenting 8 healthy kids to adding one more...with special needs?

What in the world would that look like??

Well...what does our life look like now?! Because we are living the IF.

Our baby IS alive. We DID bring her home from the hospital. We now have NINE children...and yes, one of them has special needs!

So what does our life look like?

It looks like bottles and pump parts in and around the sink, waiting to be washed or drip drying on the rack.
It looks like once-unfamiliar equipment (feeding pump, pulse oximeter, suction machine) being part of daily life.
It looks like an impressive binder and filing system to hold never-ending medical paperwork.
It looks like therapy sessions twice a week and specialty appointments several times a month.
It looks like parents falling asleep in the middle of meetings and movies.
It looks like brothers and sisters coming and going, kissing Verity, playing with her, singing to her.
It looks like jumping up and down when Verity gains a few ounces or reaches for a toy.
It looks like cuddle sessions instead of the "shoulds:" I "should" be cleaning; I "should" be working; I "should" be prepping dinner.

It looks like love
and laughter
and living in the moment
and appreciating the little things.

And yes...sometimes it looks like tears
and tantrums
and turmoil
and terrifying moments.

I can't lie: this isn't an easy life. It's not what we would have chosen. But it IS what we choose now, over and over, day after day. "Living the if" has changed our lives for the better. "Living the if" means living in the grace and strength of a God who created Verity perfectly, whose plans and purposes reach far beyond our comfort zone. "Living the if" keeps us humbly walking in the path of Christ, who allowed Himself to be broken and poured out on our behalf.




I suppose it wouldn't be entirely honest to close there, because, as you might imagine, our present day reality doesn't mean that we don't still live with a different set of "What ifs." And the truth is, I still wrestle with the reality that "Living the IF" for our family means something entirely different than many other Trisomy families have experienced. But...for now...I choose to focus on the celebration of life in this, Verity's birthday month, and instead will save that topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment