My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Mary's Prenatal Diagnosis

Christmas 2016 was not the most joyous in my collection of yuletide memories. I was "great with child," but even more burdensome than my cumbersome belly was the weight of anxiety heavy on my heart and mind. We were two months away from our due date with Verity (FT18), and though I had learned much in the couple of months since our diagnosis, I felt I had absolutely no idea what to expect in the days and weeks ahead of us.

This year, we are grateful and blessed to be celebrating our 4th Christmas with Verity Irene. And while our everyday life now is characterized by an unexpected sense of "normalcy," I will never forget the uncertainty and angst that blanketed our holidays that year.


I'm sure Mary felt those emotions as well! She had a "prenatal diagnosis," if you will--it was revealed to her that she would carry a special child, too! Can you just imagine the uncertainty SHE felt?! Where and when would she deliver her baby? What would the outcome be of a pregnancy that from the outside looked to be illegitimate? How would she attend to the special needs of a child who would be like no other?

God's heavenly purposes are carried out in each and every individual, including the precious babies who have an "anomaly." It is true that some are called to heaven before even taking a breath on earth. And it is true that some get to experience life only for a short time. Our thoughts and prayers are with those families who are mourning and missing those babies. And we continue to pray for the ones who are still growing and for the mamas carrying them, waiting for the next chapter in their own lives to unfold.

From the Jacobson family to all of you--I wish you a merry Christmas. May you savor the quietness of the season and experience true rest...may you know the grace and peace that only comes from the real reason for the season.


P.S. If you or someone you know has received a prenatal diagnosis, I'd love to offer encouragement and support

No comments:

Post a Comment