My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Saturday, June 23, 2018

The Answer to "Does It Get Better?"


About 13 months ago I posted the following in the Rare Trisomy Parents group:

"I don't even know how to phrase this question. Verity is closing in on 3 months (on the 28th). That's awesome, of course. But her short life has been filled with things that understandably make her mad, uncomfortable, or both. The latest is the switch from casts to boots and bar, but it seems there has always been something. It's so rare that she's awake and not fussing or screaming. There are times, of course, when she seems reasonably content. But in general, when I think of her time since birth, it seems overall weighted toward the not-so-happy.

Does it get better??? Please tell me some day we will have some tangible reward in the form of positive responses, anything to let us know she is happy to be alive and knows she is loved. Life with a newborn is hard, I know, but my other babies were at least smiling and cooing and making faces back at us by this age. Obviously things are different with Verity, but it would give me something to hold onto and look forward to if I could tell myself something along the lines of, 'In another month or so she will be smiling,' or something like that.

I don't know if my question has to do with developmental milestones you've experienced or if I just need to hear that someday, life is going to be at least a little happier, a little less stressful than it is now. I don't regret the interventions we've done for Verity, not in the least. But...they've certainly been challenging. I'm exhausted, and the feeling of being overwhelmed only gets more powerful as time goes on.

Thanks for listening."

Oh. Oh my. Thirteen months is a long time, but how well I remember my emotional and mental state when I composed that plea for help. This afternoon I spent some time reviewing the answers posted in response to my question of May 17, 2017. I remember clinging to the sage advice and photos of smiling children that came in the form of dozens of comments. Many of those wise, sweet mamas are now close friends with whom I share daily life as we chat back and forth online. 

Little did we know back then that we were about a month away from seeing Verity smile for the first time, about 6 weeks away from hearing her laugh. Little did we know that though it would take many more months, we would start getting some stretches of sleep, even full nights (thanks to nursing help!). Little did we know we would see Verity--a child the head neonatologist suggested would lead a "futile life"--smile, that we would hear her babble and giggle multiple times a day. Little did we know she would light up when seeing Daddy come home from work every evening. 

So...does it get better?

Oh, yes. Yes, it does!!!



This morning, going on about 1 1/2 hours of sleep all night, Verity just cooed and smiled and giggled. I'm not sure how she survives on such a small amount of sleep, but she is certainly a happy girl much of the time, and when she's not, it is much easier for us to figure out what is bothering her. As I finish typing this post, it is clear that Verity is overly tired and ready for a nap--her left leg is kicking, and she is shaking her head back and forth with her eyes rolling back in her head. These are her sleepy cues. Now and then she gives a disgruntled squeal, as if to say, "I know I need to sleep, but I just can't get there yet." And yet...even so...she smiles! My heart is full.

Another time I will post about some of Verity's developmental progress, but today...today I remember how heartbroken I was at the seemingly constant distress our baby was experiencing a year ago, and all I can think about is how grateful I am for simply seeing her smile. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a precious, precious smile - very hard won, I know, but so very precious :)

    ReplyDelete