My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Another Transition

On Monday we received some news that has made my heart sad all week. A few months ago we learned that we were eligible to receive nursing care, and the process, once begun, went very quickly. Before we knew it, we had settled into a new routine that included Margie, our full-time nurse. Any doubts or concerns I had about this transition melted away, and before long, Margie felt like part of our family. She has utterly fallen in love with Verity and cares for her so tenderly.

And so it broke my heart when she told us on Monday that she had regretfully given her two-weeks' notice to the nursing agency. A work-from-home job that she had applied for before she even met us has come through for her, and in her words, "at her age" she feels this is a better work scenario for her for the long-term. I can tell she is heartsick about it, which only makes me feel even sadder. It's amazing how three short months could so completely change us all. Though I haven't really ever been able to nap as we half-joked about, it has been such a blessing to have consistent care for Verity, allowing me to focus more on homeschooling and mothering my other children. Having Margie attend various doctor's appointments and keep up with Verity's therapeutic exercises at home has been an extra bonus.

The nursing agency is setting up a meeting for us in a few days with a temporary nurse who is only available for 2 weeks but who can hopefully help fill in the gap while they find a more permanent nurse who will be a good fit. I'm almost sick about it--there are so many little things Margie just KNOWS and takes care of...the thought of "training" one person only to lose her and then "train" another person is exhausting and overwhelming. Meanwhile, I have heard horror stories from other Trisomy mamas of their nursing experiences, and I am still amazed that we had such "good luck" with our first experience! I know it was God's hand of direction, but still...other families are praying, too! Why we should have such a fabulous nurse our first time around and others are having difficulties is a mystery...and though I'm not superstitious, there is a sense of dread that THIS TIME things won't turn out as well. I need to keep praying and trusting, I know. God knew about this transition long before we did; He brought us Margie, and He can bring us another wonderful person whom we can love and who will love our Verity.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for this difficult transition. I pray that another wonderful nurse comes your way! Laraba

    ReplyDelete