My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Thursday, January 4, 2018

GI and Urology Test Updates

My poor baby is crying...so this will be as quick as I can make it.

The upper GI and SBFT showed that Verity's anatomy looks just fine, but stuff moves slowly through her system. Not surprising. Poor baby--that was a rough day, with them having to give her barium multiple times because she kept vomiting it out.

The good news is that she is doing very well with the 24-hour continuous feed. We are currently at 26ml/hour during the day and a bit lower at night (because she did struggle with reflux recently and we are being cautious). We are to increase by 1ml/hr every 2-3 days until we get to 30ml/hr, and then after she is stable with that amount, we will work on cutting the time down while maintaining the volume so that she can have some tube-free play time.

At the urology appointment today (which was scheduled because of her two UTIs in the fall), Verity weighed in at 12 pounds, 12.8 ounces! She was down to 12 pounds, 5.9 ounces when we last saw the GI on December 19.

Today was a hard day. Ted took the day off because the tests were up north, and we decided to have him take Verity with our nurse. I'm thankful he was able to do that--it sounds like it was an absolutely awful time. :-( The renal ultrasound went well. The VCUG got off to a rough start since they had to cath her FOUR TIMES, finally calling the urologist himself to do it. Grrrrrr.

The scan showed that she does have some renal reflux; the urologist called it a 3 out of 5 and at this point only wants to follow up with another ultrasound in 3 months unless she gets another UTI in the meantime.

As I said, it was a rough day, and there was much screaming, crying, vomiting (from the screaming and crying), and more screaming and crying. She is finally pretty quiet--she must be exhausted, poor dear. I know it will be painful when she urinates the next few times, so prayers for quick healing would be appreciated.

More thoughts later when I'm not so tired...


No comments:

Post a Comment