My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Monday, October 10, 2016

Today I Went to an Abortion Clinic

The day it was confirmed that our baby girl has Trisomy 18, I "happened" upon a Facebook post on a friend's page calling for volunteers to take a one-hour shift during the 40 Days for Life campaign to pray and stand peacefully in front of a local Planned Parenthood.

From the time I was a young teen, I have always been passionately pro-life. My stance has never changed--however, I humbly admit my perspective of "the other side" has morphed from one of critical judgment to one full of compassion, grace, and mercy. While I still could never condone abortion, friendships with dear friends who have experienced an abortion have helped me gain a small understanding of the turmoil before, during, and after the traumatic event.

Now I am carrying a child in my womb who has "abnormalities," the kind that leave some mothers feeling a desperate sort of grief, perhaps a feeling that there really is no other option for them other than to abort. And my heart goes out to them. From the beginning of our journey with Verity, we have asserted that abortion is NOT an option for us, because we stand on the truth of God's Word, truth that teaches all humans are created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27); that we are all fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139); that God knew us before we were even conceived (Jeremiah 1:5); that God has plans for us that reach into eternity (Ephesians 2:8-10).

Because we know the truth, it has set us free from fear and anxiety. This is not to say we do not grieve or feel pain or sadness; on the contrary, we feel and grieve deeply. Agonizingly. Just this morning my husband and I wept together during our prayer time as we shared some of our fears with each other.

But wait--didn't you say you were free from fear?!

Yes. We are free from the fear that paralyzes, fear that hinders us from moving forward in faith. God has NOT given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, of power, and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).

God's truth gives us joy that can't be explained; peace that is beyond understanding; and hope that does not disappoint. I am thankful beyond words for TRUTH.

And I have considered what the ramifications would be for me, for my family, for Baby Verity...

If I did.
Not.
Know.
Truth.

If all I had was a diagnosis...
If all I knew were the statistics...
If my only counsel were to consider what was best for ME in the here and now...

What would I do? What would I choose?

I can't even imagine.

And so today...I went to an abortion clinic. And I stood with three of my children as cold wind whipped about our faces, smiling and praying blessings over drivers who honked and waved as well as those who shouted obscenities. Praying God will reveal truth to those who are searching as well as to those who think they know it all. Praying God's people will reach out with love and compassion to those who are in desperate circumstances as well as to those who simply feel inconvenienced.

Today...and always...I stand for life.
Because I carry a precious life within me.
Because I enjoy the beauty of life on earth.
And because through Jesus I have the gift of eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16



4 comments:

  1. You make me want to be a better person and I'm so very proud to call you "friend."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Beverly. I'm praying these words will encourage someone who is searching . . . (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter Rebekah shared this with me this morning and I just have to write and thank you for your beautiful heart and words.
    God called me to be a sidewalk counselor outside the 3rd largest planned parenthood in the USA. As we pray and reach out to those going in for abortions, we see the pain, confusion, and mostly fear that drives them there, thinking it's their only "choice". We offer Truth and real choices at nearby pregnancy centers. We have many resources to help. My heart breaks for each one. Some respond and turn away...most don't.
    I will be praying for you, your family and your precious baby Verity to be blessed beyond measure in the years to come as our Lord uses you all to build His Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! I don't know why I didn't see your comment earlier, but I am blessed by it now. :-)

      Delete