My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

More GI Discussion

Sad news: Verity has been losing weight. She is down to 12 pounds, 5.9 ounces, from a high of just over 13 pounds.

Good news: We have a wonderful doctor. Every time we meet with him, he confirms what my instincts are telling me and helps us see clearly what our next steps for helping Verity should be. I have heard horror stories of not-so-great doctors, and I am beyond grateful for the ones who have been helping us along with our Verity journey.

Notes from today's GI appointment:

1. We are going to switch to continuous feeds of 23ml/hr for 24 hours a day. If this seems to work well, we will increase her feeds slowly until we get to 26ml/hr. We will continue to give Liquigen to boost calorie intake.

2. If we continue to have vomiting issues, we will try Elecare (a formula) at the same rate.

3. We can then work towards consolidating to 18 hours per day of feeds.

4. Upper GI/SBFT as soon as possible 

5. If the new feeding regimen is not helping and there is more than a week's wait for the Upper GI, then we can admit to the hospital for further workup and trials of NJ or GJ feeds and consideration of fundoplication.

UPDATE: 
After returning home, I was able to call and schedule Verity's GI series for TOMORROW morning, December 20. This test may take up to 4 hours as they watch the barium travel through her digestive system. Please pray that they can see clearly whether there are any anatomical issues that need addressed; also, please pray that over the next few days we can see whether the continuous feeding may be enough to address our current concerns. If we need to do this for awhile to get some weight on our girlie, then so be it. If further intervention is needed, then we pray that will also become very clear to us.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking time to update. I think of your sweet family often and pray that the test today is helpful.

    Laraba

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had vomiting issues, too. We changed to organic formula from Holle (bought it here: myorganicformula.com/holle-formula/) and that solved the problem. I think it was some of the bad stuff (most likely gluten), which caused the vomiting. This is absent in organic formula.

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard when a child is unwell. I wonder if being on a medslant would help an infant as much as it does for adults with reflux.

    ReplyDelete