My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

When It's Not a Happy New Year

I’m a classic Type A person. Firstborn. Planner. Goal-setter.

Typically, I’m motivated, energetic, busy. (The latter is not necessarily a good thing.)

New Year’s resolutions and goals? Bring on the planner and pencil—let’s do this!

But…not this year. Not even close. I wish I could say “The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak,” but to be perfectly honest, the spirit is probably even weaker than the flesh these days. 

The turning of the calendar to 2017 has been far more difficult than I would have imagined. This is a big year for us, and a year ago we would have embraced it with such a spirit of adventure: At the end of May Ted will have reached the 20-year milestone in his military career. Our 20th anniversary is coming up in June. We are scheduled to move…somewhere...later in the summer.

Obviously the adventurous outlook we would have had otherwise has been replaced…
Uncertainty.
Fear.
Grief.
Anxiety.
Exhaustion.
Depression.

I can’t deny that these feelings overwhelm me pretty much daily. Oh, I’ve learned to cope. My husband helps me stay faithful with daily time in prayer and God’s Word (even when, honestly, I don’t really feel like it). Supportive friends and family somehow send a note or text just when I need to know I’m not totally forgotten. And thanks to previous experience, I now recognize when I’m drifting toward depression, and my daily regimen of certain essential oils goes a long way toward supporting me emotionally and mentally. But I still have to deal with reality.

And my reality now includes utter, complete uncertainty. It also includes a widening circle of acquaintances within the Trisomy community who have daily joys and struggles living with their Trisomy children. All too often, though, we learn of the loss of one of these little ones, whether in utero or after a life well loved outside the womb. New Year’s weekend for me included tearful prayers for a family whose 5-month-old son was fighting for his life in a hospital. I broke down when I read the news that he had lost the battle. I don’t even know these people personally, and yet we are connected because of a diagnosis. I weep with them though I may never meet them. The beauty and fragility of the lives of our babies connect us in both encouraging and heartbreaking ways.

This new year…what does it hold for us? For Verity? We are less than 8 weeks away from her due date. Will we make it that long? Perhaps she will surprise us all and be one of the 33% of Trisomy 18 babies who clings to life in the womb beyond 40-42 weeks; or perhaps we will meet her well before February 25.

There are so many more questions than answers—which is a testimony to how outdated much of the available information about this diagnosis really is. Our early research had us assuming we would be burying Verity shortly after birth. And while that is still a distinct possibility, we’ve learned enough to realize that we may need to answer different questions, such as:

What will be the best way to help Verity breathe if, like many other T18 babies, she needs respiratory support?
What kind of feeding support will we need to give her?
How tiny will she be? Will preemie outfits work?
How can we rearrange our bedroom to allow her to sleep as closely as possible to my bedside?
What kinds of monitoring will we need to learn?

And looming over it all…will Verity be with us when we move to our next location? Or will we have had to say goodbye to her, laying her to rest before packing up and starting over somewhere else?

It’s too exhausting, too depressing to wonder what our lives will look like next month or next year. As much as we know God has a plan and purpose for all of this, as much as we acknowledge His power, His sovereignty, His love—this walk of faith is the hardest thing we’ve ever done. There are times when answers are not available, times when I know Truth but can’t feel it. Times when I am in God’s Word and yet feel crushed, overwhelmed, and discouraged. Times when I sit in prayer, yet can say absolutely nothing.

It isn’t totally honest to leave it at that, even though I have no pat answers and my general mood has been pretty downcast lately. In the midst of uncertainty, along this strange grieving process (strange because there isn’t anything tangible—yet—to grieve), I am grateful for moments of sunshine. Verity’s movements make me smile. My children make me laugh. My husband and I are growing as a couple in ways we never could have dreamed. There is so much LIFE surrounding me that I simply MUST live in the present moment. My 3-year-old’s earnest request for a spot on the bed beside me deserves an affirmative response. My teenagers’ thoughtful observations deserve my focused attention. And all the children, from the blissfully unaware 17-month-old to my newly licensed 16-year-old, deserve to know how very loved they are and how much joy they bring us.

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven…

a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance…


12 comments:

  1. As a fellow first born, list maker, planner.......FIXER....I long to do just that for you. To fix any part of this. Know that God is teaching many of us lessons through your situation. I am aware that while your faith is so amazingly strong and inspirational, I am beyond certain that you would rather someone else teach me the lessons that God is using you to teach. Friend, I am praying. I won't say something ridiculous like "that's all I can do" because I know..........it's the very most I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know my heart very well. I so appreciate your prayers. <3

      Delete
  2. Again . . . no words, just tears. Friends in our Ladies' Bible Study keep asking about you, one just a few days ago. I will share your thoughts, if that's okay. May God continue to hold you in His Abba Daddy lap. You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With sincere, genuine love ... I pray. We are connected as family. I care. I'm a mom. I've mourned my babies deaths, I rejoiced in my children, I love motherhood. I feel love, empathy, excitement, hope. My prayers are strong for you and precious little Verity. God created her, He has a plan. Stand firm, mama, in His love.
    Much love to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time and the risk to share your heart. I love you and hold you up to our Heavenly Father who made you and Verity and loves you both very much. May you really live every day of your life -in the best and the worst of seasons. Huge hugs, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beverly, your words, "when I am in God’s Word and yet feel crushed, overwhelmed, and discouraged" reached me deeply. Such different issues have brought me to my knees in prayer over my children at different times, and there have been times that I could not even find the words to pray. I think the depression - in my case anxiety, may come from the inability to put your thoughts and prayers into words - the uncertainty of the future. At these times I found a verse that I could repeat - many times - when I needed His peace to calm my aching mother's heart. When we sent Jake to rehab "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness" came to mind frequently reminding me that all of this world will pass, and there was some small comfort to that. Your ability to capture these feelings and emotions so eloquently is amazing - and hopefully healing. Your other kids and your relationship with Ted are wonderful gifts, and your understanding and acknowledgement of how all of you are being strengthened by this experience is precious. I am wondering if you had a chance to get the book On Suffering - thinking of and reflecting on Mary's grief as she watched her precious Son die for us was a wonderful resource to me. Pm me your address and I will send it - continuing to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I have no idea who you are though and can't pm you my address! If you know me on FB, can you please send a message that way? I couldn't view any info through the Blogger profile. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. Beverly - we haven't met and I would love to sit in your company! I found your blog through the Trisomy board - we are about 1 month behind your schedule with our own sweet T18 girl due March 18th. Is there a way to email privately? Your writing is exactly on point with all the mingled expectant joy and incomplete grief we are facing. Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Catherine! Do you mean the Facebook Trisomy group? Or through the web site? I found the FB group to be much more interactive and more frequently visited, so I haven't been on the web board in awhile. Anyway, please do contact me--let's be preggo buddies. :-) beverlyirene77 @ gmail . com

      Delete
  7. Oh dear friend - my heart is heavy for you. The unknown. I thought that no one knew the unknown like a military spouse, but I believe your situation has upped the ante. How much more you must ache for answers! And at the same time fear the answers, too.

    It reminds me of Abram/Abraham, whom God told, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you." and then later, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”

    Just like Abraham, you must have so many questions. I know that Abraham struggled as he led his beloved child with dread up toward the mountain. But just like Abraham, I see you walking (sometimes dragging) along this unfathomable path in faith. I will pray for God to renew your strength and sustain you as you hope in Him alone, and for Him to give you more moments of beautiful life to carry you through the darker ones. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want you to know my ongoing prayers for Verity's life continue to be that it accomplishes God's purpose, no matter how long that sweet, precious life is. When I read your blog, I see the evidence that God is already using her in your family in ways nothing or no one else ever could. How like God to use the small, frail, weak things of this world to bring us wisdom and growth, and to shape us more like Him, not in lieu of the pain, but because of, in spite of, and through the pain. My prayers truly are with you and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beverly-

    I love reading your blog as it is filled with so much hope and wisdom. I am a few months behind you, my little one is due May 7th. I too am like you a planner and type A personality. Dealing with so much uncertanty is definitely a struggle but have learned and agree with you that God has a plan and I just need to remember to be comforted by that. Thanks for being a great support despite never having met or knowing each other. Continued blessings and prayers for you and your family!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete