My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Monday, March 6, 2017

Our Baby Will Be Different

After our T18 diagnosis, I wrote some text that I planned to read to our younger children to help them better understand and prepare for some things about Verity that would be different. I sent the text to a friend of ours, Adam Turner, who is a very gifted freelance artist to see if by chance he would be able to put together some sketches for me. He heartily agreed; however, he got very, very ill over the holidays with a severe virus that wiped him out for over a month. I didn't want to bother him, assuming he would have his own work piling up, and simply printed off my own pages and put together a little card stock booklet to read to my kiddos.

Well. The very day that Verity was born, a package arrived on our doorstep, quickly intercepted by our 16yo daughter who had received word from Adam that something was in the mail for us. Two mornings later, as we gathered our family together for a photo session, our daughter presented us with two copies (out of a total of 25) from this box that Adam ordered to be sent to us. It's my book!! I promptly burst into tears...good thing I hadn't put on my mascara for the day!

With the extra copies, I am so excited to be able to bless other families who are going through a similar journey to ours: finding themselves expecting a baby who will be "different" and trying to explain and prepare older siblings.

I offered to mail free copies while supplies lasted to families in the Trisomy Parent group, and the response has been so heartwarming. Almost all of our extra copies are spoken for, with a clamor for a "boy version" of the book--ours, of course, uses female pronouns since we knew Verity was a girl. I've contacted Adam to see if we can make this happen. I even received an offer from one of the moms to translate the text into Spanish!

As was mentioned several times, the available literature for families in these situations is extremely limited. Would you join me in praying about getting this published on a wider scale so we can bless and encourage even more families?






9 comments:

  1. What a special idea :) Also, I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly, you have an incredible way of turning everything you do into something that blesses other people around you. May God utterly bless you and your family in all you put your hands to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally cool!!! Praying with you as you pursue how this can grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I have your family in my constant thoughts and prayers. Love the illustrated picture of Ted in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an inspiration and an amazing individual whom I aspire to be more like! You truly are a work of God! Love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote the above. Not sure why it said anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to put you in touch with my dear friend Maggie Alvarez, who has published a book with a small press. I know her publisher, Lindy Casey, as well. https://www.facebook.com/MyFavoriteDaytoHomeschoolChildrensBook/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaaaannnnd, I'm commenting again, because I forgot to click the "notify me" box for further comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amie! I'm looking into self-publishing options, since the "market" will be fairly small...

      Delete