My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Friday, October 7, 2016

Navigating a New Normal

These days I feel I have a better understanding of those who have experienced the loss of a close loved one. My parents are both still living; the closest family members who have passed away are my grandmother (the only living grandparent for all of my growing-up years) and my father-in-law, who passed away 3 years after my wedding. As deeply as I loved these two people, I know my sadness pales in comparison to what my dad felt when his mother died and what my husband still feels after 16 years of doing life without his own father.

Our current situation is incredibly different, yet the sense of loss is all too real. Verity is still very much alive. I feel her movements more and more each day. I have marveled over the years at how wondrous it is to feel a human being growing and taking shape within my own body--I have never gotten over those fluttery kicks that later become stronger jabs and sharp pokes. Whether it is the first or the ninth baby, it is an indescribable feeling.

And feeling a live, wiggly baby...while not knowing just how long she might be alive...is such a strange, strange place emotionally and mentally.

There is life...and death...all in one thought.

It is exhausting.

I sleep, but not really: I am in a seemingly endless state of weariness that numbs the senses even as it sharpens emotion.

I forget, but not really: I immerse myself in necessary activities (homeschooling and home management after a fashion), and when that time of focus ends, I remember reality once again.

And it hurts.

This is life in our new normal. We continue with our routine as much as possible, for there is comfort and security in the familiar, especially where the children are concerned. Yet we give ourselves and each other grace upon grace, for who can function in a fog?

Life in this fog has strange yet beautiful paradoxes.
Joy in sadness.
Peace with uncertainty.
Physical fatigue, spiritual rest.

I'm not sure how to end this post...this is where we are at.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, sweet friend. My heart cannot comprehend what you are feeling and how you are even putting one foot in front of the other. I just hurt for you and pray on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually one experiences grief after the loss of a closed loved one. You are experiencing both the wonderful sensation of life within you and death that looms all at the same time. It is overwhelming and far too much emotion. Yet, even in this, the Spirit of the Almighty Creator, the Comfortor, lives within you as well, exchanging your weakness for His strength. Encouraging, comforting. And because of this, even in this dark time, you are radiant. And pleasing to our Lord. May you sense His pleasure today, even in the fog and the pain

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers are with you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not only praying for Verity Irene, but for you and your family. I am a stranger to you, but not a stranger to your circumstances. 16 years ago we found out we were pregnant, the next month we had an ultrasound that showed we were having twins. The next month the ultrasound showed that one of our babies had problems. We were also military and I have to say we had some wonderful people taking care of us. 48 hours later our baby was diagnosed with holoproencephally, not survivable. We also had to have the coversation with our 5 children. That time of my life was very difficult. I always thought that god would not give me more than I could handle. I look back and have come to realize that yes he does, however, God walked with me and my family during that time. He also put wonderful, caring, compassionate people in my life to help me deal with everything I was going through. I saw a grief counselor during my pregnancy, how crazy is that. It really helped me though and he was there afterward as well. Our precious angel, Isabella,was with us for almost an hour before she met our creator. She is in heaven playing with the angels.She is still a huge part of our family.
    So, my heart goes out to you. I know this is a very difficult, sad and anxious time. Enjoy and cherish this time that you have with Verity and when she makes her way into this world, hold her and love her. Those memories will stay with you always. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, "stranger." :-) Giving glory to God for answered prayers amidst difficult circumstances. Thank you for sharing your story.

      Delete