My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Sunday, April 8, 2018

New Resource for Trisomy Moms

March was Trisomy Awareness Month. I was pretty active in sharing things on Verity's Facebook page and a bit on Instagram (I'm fairly new to that world), but I completely neglected this blog! Some of us Trisomy moms were talking about what we wish we would have known, or what we would have told ourselves if we could speak from our present viewpoint to our distraught past selves when we first learned of our child's diagnosis.

From those discussions a blog was born. "More Than Ten Percent" seeks to share stories of surviving the first year as a Trisomy mama. The name comes from the fact that most of us were told at diagnosis that at the most, only 5-10% of these babies live to see their first birthdays. The truth is, when babies are given interventions, closer to 35% of Trisomy 13/18 babies reach that milestone.

If you'd like to see Verity's and my contribution to the blog, please check it out! And do read other stories as well. While there are similarities, each journey is so different. It just goes to show that doctors really have no way of knowing for sure what will happen. We pray that our stories can be a blessing and encouragement to parents who are struggling with a new and unexpected diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment