My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Raw, Ugly Truth

Yesterday afternoon I had two consultation appointments at the university medical center where we have had Verity's ultrasounds and where we anticipate birthing her. The first meeting was with the wonderful genetic counselor with whom we met immediately prior to our diagnostic ultrasound. The second was with one of the NICU doctors. While I do plan to unpack the information (and opinions) we received yesterday, I feel pressed by the Lord to first be completely open about my own personal struggle. I'm still dealing with the log in my own eye.

It's ugly. It's painful. And I need God to fully deal with it. I don't know how long this part of the journey will take (I suspect it will be an ongoing struggle), but I know it's all part of His refining fire. (That doesn't mean I have to like it.)

Anyway, below is what I wrote in my prayer journal yesterday morning...more to come later, I'm sure...

****************

Job 30:16-22 [part of my assigned daily Scripture reading] seems so real to me today.

"And now my soul is poured out within me; days of affliction have taken hold of me. The night racks my bones, and the pain that gnaws me takes no rest. With great force my garment is disfigured; it binds about me like the collar of my tunic. [My non-academic paraphrase: I feel as if I'm choking.] God has cast me into the mire, and I have become like dust and ashes. I cry to you for help and you do not answer me; I stand, and you only look at me. You have turned cruel to me; with the might of your hand you persecute me. You lift me up on the wind, you make me ride on it, and  you toss me about in the roar of the storm."

God...this heaviness. I can't bear it. Help me. I have no right to ask for your help, no right at all on my own merit. You know the depths of my heart: the ugliness. Selfishness. Resentment. Fear. Feeling resigned to a burden I may carry for...who knows how long? As awful, as ugly as it is, I can't be anything other than completely naked before you. After wrestling and somewhat coming to terms with the real possibility that our baby may die...I find myself now completely terrified that...

...she might live.

Devastating. I'm devastated to face that ugliness inside me. I'm ashamed of what it reveals about me. I'm sorry to say that my heart isn't always in line with what I know is true...

  • Your grace is sufficient.
  • Your power is perfect in my weakness.
  • Your mercies are new every morning.
  • Your faithfulness is unending.
  • Your steadfast love never fails.
  • You carry all my burdens.
  • You give joy in the morning.
  • You work all things for good.
  • You will accomplish your purposes.
  • You are refining us and making us more like you.

What can I say?? You've never "listened" to me when I've cried out, "ENOUGH! I can't take any more!" My hands were more than full when Kenna came along! And though I can't imagine life without our precious Kenna, Lucan, Zaden, Seanin, and Rhema, I AM FULL. OVERWHELMED.

I know special-needs families LOVE their children. Life revolves around serving these vulnerable, precious ones, and they wouldn't trade it for anything. I see, hear, feel the love as they talk or type about their children. I already love Verity, and I wouldn't trade this for my own plans--we all know that your plans and ways are much higher than ours. I know. I know. I KNOW.

But.

Sigh.

Someday maybe I won't need the but. Today is not that day. Today I look ahead and see real possibility of a life centered around medical appointments and special equipment for our special girl. I see lack of sleep, lack of order, lack of energy for my marriage and our other kids--our eight other precious kids whom YOU have given to us. Certainly no room for a business or ministry outside my home. Sure, I also see a lot of growth and compassion and love. But. (There's that word again.) It comes with a huge dose of exhaustion and ever-present concern.

And I am utterly, completely overwhelmed.

3 comments:

  1. Hugs to you! You are human and you have feelings, there is no right or wrong with feelings, they are! Let them out so that God's light and love may shine on them and help. The more honest you are with how you are feeling the more they will let go and give you peace. I am glad you have a place to vent and express those feelings. Divine love, peace and light to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you!!!!!! I'm praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I sit here sobbing and praying for you, Beverly, I wish I could be with you and hug you personally right now. Can't do that, so I'm sending you another bear hug and continued prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete