My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Monday, March 13, 2017

Best. Update. Yet.

Day 14
Today turned out to be a much bigger day than any of us could have anticipated. As I waited for Ted to arrive, I got word from our nurse that the cardiologists had ordered another echocardiogram. We weren't sure whether this was a good thing or a bad thing, so, being able to do absolutely nothing other than wait, I continued with my plans to make the trek to the Other Side of the Hospital Universe to shower. (Interestingly, the Infectious Disease Hallway smelled strongly of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies today...)

After Ted arrived and we shared a lunch from Schlotzky's, we got a phone call from Dr. M, the cardiologist who led the discussion with us last Thursday about Verity's heart. She explained why the team was requesting a new echo; the reasons were twofold:

1. There was some unexplained activity around the pulmonary vein--this is completely different from the issues we discussed last week, and they wanted to check it out more closely.

2. The large VSD, the one that Dr. A had initially told us would require surgery before Verity's first birthday...the large hole that in all likelihood would not close on its own, the way the smaller two probably would (and already have started)...yes, THAT hole...seemed to be starting to close "on its own." They wanted to see another echocardiogram to be sure.

Well! It's always good to get news that is much BETTER than one expects! Dr. M said she would call after the results came back, so Ted and I made plans for a milkshake date for the two of us and a much-needed massage for me.

While we were getting ready to go, Verity had a little episode: she pooped so hard that she had some reflux and aspirated stuff out of her nose. Her oxygen sat went down into the 70s, which meant the alarms started going off, but then the numbers climbed higher slowly but surely. Meanwhile, we were suctioning out her nose and repositioning her to try to help clear her airway. A nurse stepped in to help and was so calm about everything, I didn't think there was much of anything to worry about...but then I watched as the nurse quietly repositioned Verity, listened to her chest, and continued to hover over her and work with her, and then I noticed her little chest caving in with each breath. It was alarming: the numbers on the monitor were perfectly normal by this time, but she was clearly having difficulty breathing. The nurse suctioned out more junk, continued to work with Verity, calmly listened, wash, rinse, repeat. After a tense period, she was breathing more easily and the nurse seemed satisfied with what she was hearing (or not hearing), and the scary part was over. But it was definitely a wake-up call...I was reminded of the warnings from our Trisomy families that our littles can "silently" aspirate. Despite how well Verity has been doing thus far, we can't take anything for granted and must remain alert, especially if/when she gets sick.

I had a hard time leaving Verity after this, but we stayed around long enough to verify that she was doing much, much better and had two nurses saying they would specifically be watching her so that I could indeed go get my massage. I'm sure it won't be the last time I experience Mom guilt for leaving my baby. :-( (As an aside, I scheduled the massage because I haven't been able to turn my head to the right for the last few days; my muscles are that tight and knotted. I'm still sore and having difficulty turning that direction, but my shoulders and back are much less tense.)

Ted headed home after walking me to the massage clinic (about as far away as the showers, but in the opposite direction). As I was headed back to the NICU after my appointment, I got a call from Dr. M with the results of the day's echo. Sure enough, that large VSD is starting to close on its own! Whatever is going on with the pulmonary vein is not anything worrisome. The team wants to continue to monitor things, but as far as they are concerned, we can be released from the NICU whenever the doctor here is comfortable sending us home, and best of all...

THEY DON'T THINK SHE WILL NEED SURGERY!!!!

Verity does a victory dance of joy!

I texted the news to my sweet friend and prayer partner, who was here on Friday and prayed specifically that the holes in Verity's heart would close up and be healed. She wrote back right away to tell me this:

"Yesterday in children's church Zaden asked for prayer for Verity to be here on earth for a long time. We prayed that her heart would heal. Prayers of children I think avail much."

Indeed! Why do I marvel at all...I had wondered why God didn't show us via ultrasound the issues with Verity's heart so that we would know about that before she was born. Now I think what a blessing it is that we didn't know; surely it would have only added to the mental and emotional burdens we already carried throughout my pregnancy.

I praise and thank God for these answered prayers; at the same time, I am determined to stay yielded to His sovereign plans and purposes. I maintain that God is good no matter what our circumstances; I have wept with parents whose little ones were NOT healed, or who were NOT born alive. I don't understand why God has allowed our little Verity to live and (so far) thrive with such a positive potential outlook when so many other sweet children have had parents fighting for and with them and yet had to say goodbye all too soon.

I rejoice...yet I continue to ask God to let us not take anything for granted but rather help us to cherish what we are given.

4 comments:

  1. Amen. Praying for her heart to close fully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and amen. What a beautiful testimony you all are. Thank you for sharing your life with us all! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallelujah! And I absolutely ADORE Verity's "victory dance" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. continue to expect Miracles! <3

    ReplyDelete