My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Friday, March 10, 2017

The "H" Word

Days 10 and 11
Aside from meeting with the cardiologists yesterday morning, the big news was that we heard the "H" word--HOME. Dr. A had a plan for getting us HOME early next week! I am combining these two days' updates because much of today's activity came out of discussions we had yesterday.

So, the doctor's goals and ours are the same: to get us home soon, but more importantly, to get us home safely. I so appreciate how clearly everyone is rooting for Verity to thrive and are working with her best interests in mind. This is all too often NOT the case for Trisomy families, and sadly many of them don't know differently and follow recommendations based on inaccurate information. Dr. A's two biggest things were making sure Verity could breathe well on her own (check!) plus making sure we had a plan of action for keeping her fed and growing.

As for that first item, we have been thrilled overall with Verity's numbers. While there have been alarms ringing with elevated heart rate and lower oxygen sats from time to time, they are not concerning and easily explained: she's mad, she's having a small bit of reflux, the monitors got kicked off, etc. The cardiologists as well as the NICU doctor cannot detect any heart murmur, and what we've seen over the past week and a half or so is a good indication of Verity's "normal," and nothing about it is concerning. There are no signs of apnea, for example, a very common Trisomy 18 problem. So while I have tended to worry over any change in status quo, talking with various doctors over the last couple of days has given me a lot more freedom to just RELAX. Verity is doing great!

As for the second going-home-milestone, we were optimistic in thinking that a 30-day feeding tube placement would get us home early next week, probably Tuesday, and we'd be able to work on nursing at our leisure while making sure Verity gets the nutrition she needs to grow. So, today revolved around feeding tube efforts. The nurses placed it early this morning; an X-ray was taken close to lunch time to make sure the end of it was in the appropriate place (it wasn't and needed to be drawn back 2cm); and a doctor arrived close to dinner time to put the bridle on. The bridle would have essentially tied it off underneath her nose, securing it so that it wouldn't be able to be yanked out. Unfortunately, though they were using the smallest/thinnest option available, Verity's nose is still too small for this to work for us.

This is a disappointing setback to be sure. However, in the scheme of things, it is a setback that we can deal with, even if we don't like our alternatives. A G-button is not really a good option at this point; it must be inserted via surgery, and they prefer not to do surgery on one as small as Verity. It may very well be ideal in the future, but now is not the right time. The only other alternative seems to be that Ted and I will have to learn how to place the tubes that she has been using here in the NICU. While I'm less than thrilled about this (I nearly passed out watching the nurse insert it last week and left to go shower when they were putting in the larger one today), I know that we will do what needs to be done, and after awhile it won't seem like a big deal. But the hassle, not to mention the risk of it being pulled out (by Verity or a curious sibling), just makes me heave a sigh...these are the things no one signs up for...you just do what you have to do. Anyway...all of this could mean that we don't actually get to go home on Tuesday; we just kind of have to wait and see.

In happier news, and going along with the feeding report, a speech therapist came in this morning and sat with me during a nursing attempt. Thankfully it was a fairly good attempt! Verity latched and sucked and swallowed multiple times. This all takes a lot of effort for her still, and we are nowhere close to being able to count on nursing as a major means of acquiring calories, but the structure of her mouth plus all the cues she is giving us indicate that she is fully capable of nursing someday, and so this is what we plan to work toward.

And along those lines, I've learned so much from the lactation consultants here! Once again, I'm amazed at how much of a continual learning process this is...my nursing resume continues to grow, lol. We decided today that my supply, while adequate for Verity's needs right now, really isn't where I'd like it to be, and so I have some new tips and tricks to try for gradually increasing it.

We've increased Verity's feeds to 50ml (given over 30 minutes) every 3 hours. They continue to fortify with extra calories, but she's getting breastmilk every time instead of a mix of my milk plus formula. So hooray for that! Though her weight last night had dipped JUST a bit, tonight she was up to 5 pounds, 5.3 ounces, her heaviest weight yet.

We also had a visit from a physical therapist today to initiate conversations about various therapies that will help Verity; we should receive a visit from an occupational therapist soon, but I don't know if it will be tomorrow or after the weekend. Our state of residence has a program called Early Intervention that will allow us to receive home visits from therapists in the area, and once we are in that system, they can hand us off to our next location so we can continue with forward progress. (No word yet on whether I'll be provided with a personal massage therapist, which I desperately need after sleeping under stress on a hospital bed for 11 nights...! Bummer that I had to cancel a scheduled massage appointment because Verity arrived the day before, lol.)

In other NICU news, our doctor received an award from the university (well-deserved, I'm sure! I love her!), and a film crew was here today to follow her around and work on a video. Dr. A asked me if I would be willing for Verity to be one of the patients she would see while on camera, and I told her we would be honored! I got a little emotional when she asked (hormones!) and told her that we had prayed that God would put together just the right team to care for Verity after she arrived, and we were so thankful that God had allowed Dr. A to have her two weeks of rounds at the same time we arrived in the NICU. So, Verity and I had cameo roles in this video! I had to sign a release form and everything, lol. The film crew had no idea about Verity's diagnosis, so I had the opportunity to share a little bit with them and give each of them a Verity card to keep.

1 comment:

  1. So you're going to be famous, huh?! LOL :) I'm so very glad that the medical team is working WITH you and FOR both Verity and you; sounds like you're extremely fortunate on that score! PTL!! Continuing to pray for Verity and all of you.

    ReplyDelete