My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Celebrating LIFE

A few weeks back our small group leader approached me to discuss the fact that some ladies in our church were wanting to put together a baby shower to honor Verity's life and to be a blessing to our family. I was so incredibly touched, especially when she asked for my input and acknowledged that no one was quite sure how to go about doing this given our situation.

Mamas in my FB Trisomy community gave some valuable input, which I passed on to Connie, and the ladies did an amazing job of putting together what truly was a celebration full of joy and meaning. Our church family showered us with love and blessings last night, and we are humbled, encouraged, and thankful.

The event was open to husbands as well as wives...I believe this was our first couple's shower, now that I think about it! It was so nice that Ted's mom is also here with us and was able to be a part of the evening. We left our kids at home in the capable care of their teen siblings along with another larger family who joined forces with them for what was, I'm sure, a rowdy and delightful evening for the kids as well, lol.

The potluck dinner was wonderful with plenty of good fellowship and fun shower games to keep us engaged. As I looked around the room at the nearly 3 dozen people who had gathered with us in person, I was overwhelmed not only at who was there attending our celebration in person, but also at the many who have expressed their love and support and were not able to be physically present, whether from our own small church community or from vast distances.

Our pastor shared some thoughts from Psalm 139, a beautiful and profound message. He has given me permission to share publicly, which I will do in a separate post at another time. Then we closed the evening singing "10,000 Reasons," "Blessed Be the Name," and "Great Is Thy Faithfulness." It was a beautiful and precious time with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

At home, Ted and I had some quiet moments reading the beautiful messages folks had written for us. The gift card and money tree is a blessing that will keep on giving as we reserve the resources and wait to see what Verity will need. And our freezer already has a stash of meals that will be easy to prepare when things start happening and Mom isn't home to oversee the menu plan.

I confess I was uncertain going into the event whether I would end up being emotional, but honestly, it was truly such a celebration with so many dear friends that there was no sadness at all, only joy and thankfulness in shared acknowledgement of precious truths...

"Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me...let me be singing when the evening comes...
Bless the Lord, oh my soul, oh my soul,
Worship His holy name;
Sing like never before, oh my soul, worship His holy name."

"Blessed be your name when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's all as it should be,
Blessed be your name.
Blessed be your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering,
Blessed be your name.
Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back to praise;
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say: 'Blessed be the name of the Lord...'"

"Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth; Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow...blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside.
Great is Thy faithfulness, great is Thy faithfulness, morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided; great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me."




Oh, yes! One other thing I think is worthy of reporting...Ted, his mom, and I were all approached at various times and told in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to write thank-you notes, that we had enough going on in our lives and no one wanted me to have additional stress! So sweet! But my mama raised me right, so I WILL write a note for Connie to put in the church bulletin...that was deemed acceptable, lol. I love the hearts of these men and women who didn't even want their names on the money tree envelopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment