My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Prayer Requests from Beginning to End

We have reached 38 weeks with no signs of early labor or anything unusual! Even as I thank God for this milestone and for the positive reports we keep receiving, I am sobered as I consider the multiple stories I have encountered over the last few months of Trisomy 18 babies who were stillborn or born a few weeks early only to leave their families not long afterward. I don't take much for granted these days, and though I'll never understand many of the WHYs that are inevitable when considering our journey compared to others' experiences, I know our God is sovereign and worthy of praise no matter what the circumstances. I pray that we will continue to assert that truth if or when we reach a much different end than what we may be imagining.

I was reminded of the list of prayer requests I had jotted on paper very soon after we received Verity's diagnosis; several close friends had asked how they should pray, and I numbly wrote whatever came to my foggy brain early one morning to share with them. Looking back, it is clearly a Spirit-led list. I share it now as a testimony to the way God has led us thus far on this journey...I'll add present-day thoughts to the original list in brackets.

VERITY IRENE--Due Date: February 25, 2017
Prayer Requests

  • Kenna's birthday protected (Feb 27)
  • Salvation for loved ones
  • A live birth and a time shared with family and friends--that our children will feel connected to (and not repulsed by) their sister. [I have absolutely no concerns about this! While I don't know for certain that Verity will be born alive, I can't help but feel that she will...and if not, we will deal with that as the time comes. But our children already are totally in love with their baby sister.]
  • That we will see her through God's eyes--see her true beauty and get a peek at some of His marvelous purposes for her life. [Again, this is already happening! What a blessing!]
  • Protection during pregnancy for me...physically, the challenges of being older, plus higher risk for preeclampsia. Emotionally. Mentally. [God has been gracious to me indeed; this pregnancy has been hard on my body, but overall things have gone and are going well.]
  • Wisdom in getting help/care when needed. [See addendum below this list.]
  • Hearts that are soft and teachable--protection against bitterness, anger, resentment, etc. Special understanding for the children especially. [While I believe that we have ALL learned and grown so much in these recent months, this will be an ongoing petition before the Father's throne.]
  • That God will reach people who need Him, people who need truth and encouragement. 
  • That God will use our story to bring understanding of the value of LIFE.

Addendum:
As our due date approaches and my body does its normal thing (i.e. frequent contractions), a concern I have is that we will KNOW with certainty when it's time to make our way to the hospital. The last 4 babies I have delivered all gave indication of imminent labor that ended up going nowhere. We have even been to the hospital thinking we were having a baby only to turn around and go back home. (This is rather embarrassing when you consider just how many children we have birthed...) But the fact is, I often have periods of regular, painful contractions, and while I've never had a dramatic in-the-car or at-the-hospital-doorway delivery, the fact that Verity is going to be smaller than the average baby PLUS the fact that she is our 9th delivery could very well mean that her entrance into the world could be incredibly swift!

So, considering that under optimal conditions it will still be close to 45 minutes from our driveway to waddling into the L&D ward at the hospital...will you join with me in praying that God will give us clear signs that we need to go? A good friend suggested praying that my water would break ahead of time, which I thought was a brilliant plan since that has never happened before I'm in active labor at the hospital! But again...I need a CLEAR sign...I don't want to be wondering, "Did my water break, or not??"

It's funny, now that I think about it, I haven't really "worried" about what will happen once we get to the hospital; my focus now is getting TO the hospital in a timely manner! However, here are the things we are praying concerning the hospital part of the adventure:
  • That the right medical team will be assembled...while I have definite opinions about who I prefer to be (or not be) present for Verity's birth, I trust the Lord will work out His sovereign purposes.
  • That we will be able to clearly communicate with everyone involved not only in the birth, but also in assessing Verity's needs once she arrives.
  • That our family will be a blessing and a witness to any and all medical staff and other families we encounter during our time in the hospital.
  • For the right timing for my parents to be able to travel from Wisconsin to be with us...my mom plans to be here as close to the birth experience as she can, and then she will remain with us for a time afterward. I value her experience as a retired nurse who did home health care for years and years, often caring for children and adults with special needs!
  • That every last detail will be attended to--that we will be able to look back and marvel at the many ways, big and small, that God provided for every person's needs during what could otherwise be a chaotic, tumultuous time. I'm thinking especially of things such as child care for little ones at home so that Charis, Kenna, and maybe even both grandmas can be at the hospital for the actual birth. So that would include a decent time of day that we leave for the hospital with enough notice for friends to help!
Thank you to all who have prayed for us along this journey! I am so humbled and grateful for the many, many prayers on our behalf. We would not be where we are today if it weren't for all of those petitions and prayers of faith.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminders of these specific prayer requests. I know our God is concerned about even what might seem the smallest details & knows better than we do, so just as an encouragement reguarding the medical team, each of my pregnancies was overseen by a group of doctors and of the five of them there was one that just didn't impress us- he was always too laidback, to the point of seeming disinterested. But when Janay had to be delivered by emergency c-section he was the one on call, and his super calm demeanor was just what was needed and we were so pleased with him in the end. Will be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned so much from each step of your journey with Verity. I have been reminded of God's grace, His patience, His immense love and passion for those whom He calls His own. My own faith has been encouraged through your unyielding passion for your little girl and by how beautifully you express the intrinsic value of her life. We will continue to pray for these specific requests, both "old" and new. I know that this witness you have been gifted to carry will continue to draw the lost into the saving knowledge of our Lord, Jesus. We love your family~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is precious that you thought of the prayer request to protect Kenna's birthday. Lyric is turning 10 today and she is SO excited to finally be in double digits. God led your mommy's heart to think of that for Kenna. Verity and your family are in my prayers this morning.

    ReplyDelete