My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Knowledge Is Power: Trisomy Resources

In the Trisomy parents' Facebook group I've been involved with since our diagnosis with Verity, I frequently see posts from new members who are either awaiting test results or who have just received confirmation of a rare diagnosis. Oh, how I identify with the precious mom or dad's feelings of being confused and overwhelmed! I know my first couple of posts filled with questions probably sounded very similar. How grateful I was for the members who swiftly responded, answering questions as best as they could and sharing pictures and stories of their children.

Recently my heart was so moved by one of these "newbie" posts, and as I left my own comment, I couldn't help but feel grateful at how far we have come in the 5 months since learning what exactly Edwards Syndrome/Trisomy 18 is. I gave advice that I wish I had known in the beginning: while waiting for test results, resist the urge to GOOGLE!! Instead, if one simply MUST research, direct those efforts toward searching out those who actually live and work with Trisomy babies/children. For those parents with a diagnosis, there are Facebook groups available that are much more current and interactive than, for example, this Trisomy 18 support group I found initially. This forum is not a bad resource by any means, but it did not contain the wealth of contacts and ease of accessibility as the private FB group that I later found through a new friend's help. (I do still visit it from time to time; new posts are few and far between, but I've been able to encourage some folks by dropping in now and then and sharing a bit of our experience).

Many of the parents whom I've met through this journey have their own Facebook pages available for the public to follow. Quite a few of these precious little ones have their own fan clubs cheering them on and praying for them each time they hit a new obstacle. It's really a wonderful thing to share stories and help educate others about this particular special needs community. Here are some examples of pages (shared with permission because they are open to educating others):

Team Benjamin: A Celebration of Life with EA & Trisomy 18
Adventures with Annalea
Remembering Noelle Faith
Diary of an Almost Father
Danny's Miraculous Trisomy 18 Adventure
For the Love of Lillian: A Trisomy 18 Adventure
Addilyn's Odyssey, a Trisomy 18 Journey
Jonah's Journey with Trisomy 18
Adventures with Addalyn and Trisomy 18 (This one is private but Mom says she approves "non-crazy" people, lol!)
The Joy Gabriel Brings
Celebrating Nate

There are many, many more, and I'm sure a search on Facebook could easily lead you to others. (Also, if you "like" one of these public pages, FB will helpfully recommend similar pages for you.) My point here is to help educate and equip people to turn around and educate others who find themselves on a journey similar to ours. When a parent receives word of an "abnormal" diagnosis, fear is crippling. Even the RISK of a positive test result incites fear and uncertainty. But knowledge is power. At the same time, there is a lot of JUNK out there on the internet (and I'm not even talking about politics, lol), and if people find what they think are "answers" in places that really don't have current information, they can make poor decisions that they may very well regret the rest of their lives.

So, if you find yourself listening to a friend sobbing on the telephone or answering a slew of emotional texts from someone who has gotten That Dreaded Phone Call from The Doctor, my advice is to listen, pray with your friend, and then give hope and encouragement. No matter what the diagnosis, there IS support. There IS accurate information...as well as inaccurate. Help your friend find the resources needed to navigate the journey ahead with full awareness.

More specific resources for families expecting Trisomy babies:

Hope for Trisomy web site
Trisomy Angels Memorial Website
Support Organization for Trisomy 18, 13 and Related Disorders
TRIS (Tracking Rare Incidence Syndomes)
ITA (International Trisomy Alliance)

No comments:

Post a Comment