My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Supportive Friends, Part 2: Connections

Our family has been overwhelmed (in a good way!) by the love and support we have seen over the last few weeks. One way a number of people have reached out to us is by sending messages telling us about someone they know or have heard of who has experienced a similar pregnancy diagnosis to ours.

I think it's human nature to desire and seek out connections with others who have commonalities with us. Being more of an extrovert myself, I usually thrive on relationships, both in-person and online. But I have a confession to make...right now, I don't feel I have the mental or emotional capacity to personally respond to what feels like an inundation of new contacts. While our family made the decision to be very open with Verity's story, letting others in to read about and experience this journey with us (if they desire), I am not sure I'm ready to venture too far out of my "comfort zone" just yet. 

Do I accept all of these "Friend Requests" from people I don't know personally? Do I need to write to everyone whose contact information I've been given? After pondering and praying for awhile, I feel peace about saying NO in many cases. 

This is not to say I don't want to hear from other families who have already trekked down a path that looks like ours. Indeed, I've already been blessed by some connections set up by mutual friends. It is simply amazing how many folks know someone who has experienced or is currently experiencing something like our journey with Verity. And it's humbling to read so many sweet messages of love and encouragement as friends reach out to me in private messages offering someone else's contact information.

It would be a full-time job to keep up with all these stories...as much as I would love to! So here is a general, blanket response I give here in a public forum, again speaking personally and not necessarily for every parent in my situation: I am happy to hear from others who have been down a similar road, but please know that I do not feel I am in the position to be the one making initial contact. And please do not be offended if I don't reply right away to an offer for a "Trisomy 18 set-up;" it's only because it's not the only "blind date" I've been approached about. ;-) If people would like to email or private message me their story, that is the easiest way for me to absorb information and glean from other people's experiences...on my own time, when I'm emotionally able to handle whatever it may be. (I have yet to watch a video a sweet lady sent me about her own darling baby girl...I started watching it and realized it was set to music...and knew I would be a sobbing mess before it was over!! Since I was getting ready to leave the house shortly afterward, I opted to wait to watch the whole thing!)

From friends who say they really don't know what to say to friends who are moved to share someone's story with me, I have to say we know some truly wonderful people! Please know we are deeply moved by the prayers and concern of so many.

1 comment:

  1. Send love your way and y'all are continually in our prayers.
    I'm truly blessed by your strength and transparency.
    Love you my sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete