My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word!

This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:28, 50 ESV)

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Beautifully Ordinary

At breakfast I noted the date and said to my husband, "It's been a month since we got the phone call from the doctor."

His reaction: "It's only been a month?!"

We've done a whole lot of living in that one-month period...celebrated two milestone birthdays; traipsed in and out of libraries; made trips to the dentist, chiropractor, and women's health clinic; watched the trees turn colors; muddled our way through math lessons and science experiments; prayed together; laughed together; cried together.

Homemade pizza.
Loads of laundry.
Birthday cake.
Read-aloud time.
AWANA verses.
Praise team rehearsals.
Meeting friends; changing diapers; cooking meals; stepping over Legos.

So many normal, mundane things and activities. So many wonderful, familiar faces. So much depth and intensity in the ORDINARY, simply because we have been granted the gift of awareness.

And this morning, the gift of an ordinary mommy moment...what we've always called the Morning Coffee Dance in my pregnancies. (It used to be the Hot Tea Dance, back in my younger years when I thought coffee was awful.) Soon after downing my first sips of hot goodness, I felt the familiar flutters of baby movements. So precious. So...normal.


Our Verity is very much alive. She is an extraordinary gift, and we will cherish each moment with her.

Every
beautifully
ordinary
moment...

And even...maybe especially...the not-so-ordinary ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment